Thursday 9 November 2006

A Distorted View of Beauty #2

Last night I posted a video from the Dove Real Beauty Campaign. I love this, and the video has made an important message become more effective. Even I 'touch up' the odd photo of myself, because maybe I don't want that odd wrinkle here or that odd spot there.

I just wanted to make the point that not only do girls have issues with their self-esteem, but us chaps do too. Most won't admit it, but I will - I stuggle with my physical appearance all the time, and sometimes I even think that the way I look is a direct reflection on who I am, when of course, it isn't. I guess its another one of my useless desires - to be more attractive, and therefore more popular and therefore a better person and so on and so on... Stuff and nonesense.

I wondered when Dove, or someone similar are going to set up a workshop for men/boys. But then it occured to me... would any men actually turn up and admit they have self-esteem issues? perhaps not. We're notorious for not seeing doctors, ignoring lumps, ignoring advice etc. Why should this be any different.

Anyway, I need to leave for work. If you haven't seen this video, take a look below...

No comments: