Wednesday 29 August 2007

How to Save a Life



On Sunday 26th, a lovely young lad from the place I work tried to hang himself. I say tried, but for a moment he almost succeeded, and made a determined effort to end his own life. He stopped breathing (respiratory arrest) and was unconscious. Due to the fast actions of the officers, and the amazing expertise of one of my colleagues (I love you W) plus a little help from me, and support from a few others, we saved this young mans life.

A few days later, he was discharged from hospital, and threw his arms around W, as it was only by her voice that he could remember her. A truly emotional, heart-wrenching experience from start to finish, but it gives me so much comfort, even though I'm still very numb, knowing that once in a while, we make a difference.

The irony is the video, above. When I got in, the first sound I heard was that song, through no choosing. I cried, and smiled, and laughed at the way the hand of fate dealt a blessing for us all....

No comments: