Tuesday 22 January 2008

Homeward Bound

Well, it's again been a while since I last wrote here. I'm sitting in my Mum's front room at the moment in Wales, using the new-fangled internet thingy that us (well, those) welsh folk seem so slow to adopt!!!

The purpose of my visit this time is unfortunately due to the passing of my grandmother (Nana Brown) on Monday. She died very peacefully (after a short, but perhaps undiagnosed illness) at about 12:20pm surrounded by her family, including Jane, Maggie, Tim (her children - Jane is my ma!) Matthew, Paul (my brothers) and myself. Generally, the nursing staff were quite good and caring, and when I called in on the Sunday, I asked one of the nurses to consider an diamorphine pump, which would ease her passing and reduce her pain. Despite being an emotional day, much of which was quite surreal, I believe that her passing was a happy day. She died with dignity and peacefully, with those she loved around her, and with minimal interference from the clinical world outside the sideroom door.

Things those few days were, as I said, surreal, and I can only compare it to walking around with my head in a cotton-wool cloud. I telephoned work that same afternoon, to gently ask about extended leave, which was refused and left a bitter feeling behind. So, reluctantly, I returned to work on the Wednesday, cried a little, and emailed the union about how badly I had been treated by a certain person throughout the whole affair. The union guy came down to see me a the following day to say how appalled he felt I was treated, and instructed me that I should complete my shift, and TELL the woman who is supposed to be my manager that I WOULD be returning to wales and WOULD NOT be returning to work until after the funeral and internment!!! Anyway, news got back to the top-dog at the establishment at which I work, who was apparently disgusted, and wishes to conduct an investigation. Anyway, that's for me to worry about later.

I went into Leicester after work (Friday), and with my friend Dee, we chose a nice suit and cuff-links for the funeral. We had some noodles, then went home for a few cuppa's and listened to some funky music, before I put Dee on the bus back home! The following few days were very difficult, and on the Saturday I couldn't get out of bed. I guess it was grief? Anyway, Sunday was out of the question, due to rail cancellations so I came back to Wales yesterday (Monday?). I keep mentioning and questioning days, as everything has amalgamated into a total blur. I slept on the settee, which was a waking nightmare (!) and finally awoke at about 1pm when I heard that the washing machine was on full-throttle!

My Nan's funeral is at 1230 at St. Anne's Church, in the village of Nantyglo, followed by a cremation at the Gwent Crematorium, Cwmbran. After the weekend, there'll be a further service for the internment of her ashes, along with my grandfathers ashes, which have been held at the Funeral Directors establishment for a a staggering 9 years! So, at last, they'll be together again.

I had the privilege of formatting the front and back covers of the "order of service" booklet, which I hope everyone will be happy with. I'm sure I'll have more to tell you in a few days when all this is over... feel free to message me in the meantime.

Ryan x
(ryan@kathrynwilliams.co.uk & ryanjaprice@gmail.com)

No comments: