Wednesday 17 November 2010

Remembrance Sunday, Leicester 2010: 3,500 stand to commemorate those who died for their country

Source: Leicester Mercury

Thousands stood in silence across Leicestershire yesterday to commemorate men and women who died in the service of their country.

More than 3,500 people wrapped up warmly at a Remembrance Day service at Victoria Park's war memorial in Leicester.

At 11am, an explosive charge was detonated by members of the 3rd Royal Anglian Regiment to mark the beginning of a two-minute silence.

The crowd then looked on as dignitaries laid wreaths at the memorial.

It was among a series of ceremonies taking place across the county, including remembrance services at Southfields Park, in Loughborough, and a parade from Thorpe End to St Mary's Church, in Melton.

Among the spectators at Victoria Park was 92-year-old veteran John Dean, who lost 13 men under his command while capturing German soldiers in France.

Mr Dean, of North Evington, Leicester, said: "I was the platoon sergeant at the time and I lost most of my men when we were stripping down a German unit.

"There were some teller mines buried deep in the ground and when we called in a lorry it detonated the mines and killed 13 of my men.

"I'll never forget them and I think today is as important now as it always has been."

Bishop Tim Stevens, who paid tribute to service men and women from Leicestershire during the service, said: "I think it was very well attended by young and old and people recognised the solemnity of the occasion which showed.

"I was especially moved by the number of young people who were there, who showed a great deal of support for those lives lost in current conflict such as Afghanistan."

A parade including the armed forces, police and cadets was led by the Seaforth Highlanders through the war memorial, after the service.

Air cadet John Fitzpatrick, 18, of Aylestone, said: "I've lost friends in active service and I think it's important to remember everyone who has given their lives over the years for this country.

"I also think it's important not to forget the thousands and thousands who fought and died in the two world wars. Many of them were my age."

Standard bearer Charles Cufflin, 86, from Enderby, was displaying the flag of the Italy Star Association, in memory of those who lost their lives in Italy during the Second World War.

He said: "I was a guardsman in the Grenadier Guards and I lost a lot of comrades in Italy.

"Today means a lot to me, it gives people the chance to remember the men who gave up their lives for this country."

Captain John Pickering, from C Company, the 3rd Royal Anglians, said: "Most of the lads you see here have done tours of Afghanistan and Iraq, so it means a lot to them, they treat today with the respect and honour it deserves.

"Personally, it's our way of remembering the fallen, I knew people who have died in conflict and their sacrifice should never be forgotten."

Mark Clayton, 47, from Groby, spent 24 years in the RAF's fire service.

He said: "The Royal British Legion do an absolutely fantastic job, I take my hat off to them.

"Today has been great, there's so many people here. I hope that there are still this many people remembering those who have died in years to come."

Posted via email from uselessdesires

No comments: