Saturday 4 November 2006

Me and Managers aint Gin and Tonic

What is it with me and managers? As you might know, I'm working at a factory as an occupational health department nurse. I say 'department' because technically I do not possess the official qualification to practice as an occupational health nurse. Just a very experienced nurse! I've got an OHCert. But that’s it for the moment. Anyway, back to the point...


Where I work, I have always had a reasonably good relationship with my good, but technically power-tripping boss. He's a decent chap, and to a degree, I respect him (even though I am 100 times more qualified than him - but if I said that, it would make me an arrogant twit). Apart from him as a colleague, I actually like him, which it odd. This occupational health department is so archaic it’s unreal. More like first aid in the dark ages (if you a nurse or doctor, or anything vaguely to do with healthcare, you’d understand). Anyway, this person just doesn’t do things the way they should be done sometimes, and it drives me stir crazy. I think my downfall came when I told him so! We’re now in the middle of quite a silly argument, which frankly I’m already tired of, so I’ll shut up!

The reason I mentioned this, is because the last job I had ended up with me on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety pills because of work-place bullying from my manager. My coping strategies haven’t improved too much, I have now learned. The anxiety and sickness I felt on reading his torrent of irrational ‘points’ came flooding back and feel like a child again. Despite being ‘well’ again after the last job, I worry that history maybe repeating itself again. But then, it’s all still fresh in my head from his last communication this morning, so perhaps I’m over-reacting.

This is Flo on the chair and Molly on the floor, taken today, wondering why I'm looking tense!

And so, to my next post….

No comments: